2019/20 Short Story Course
SIX EXCLUSIVE WORKSHOPS
Sense & Sensuality
Our Academy guarantees quality teaching from the best names in publishing
Limited to 25 places
An exclusive course of six masterclasses with award-winning practitioners aimed at reconnecting you with the sensuality and physicality of writing. Curated by writer and Word Factory founder and director Cathy Galvin, founder of the Sunday Times Short Story Award and a judge of leading literary prizes, this course will prepare you for the motivation, discipline and practicality of refining your work and getting it published.
Where else but the Word Factory could you guarantee a ticket to sit in a room with Neil Gaiman and hear about his writing practices? I believe we’ll look back on this as Short Fiction History in the making.
I love the Word Factory events because every time I come away with brilliant new ideas and techniques not only for short stories but for all my fiction. As a WF friend, the members evenings are a great way of meeting new writing friends and for sharing stories in a supportive, celebratory atmosphere. I recommend the WF to anyone looking for inspiration from a fantastic range of excellent writing tutors.
Cathy Galvin has created a remarkable community of writers around the Word Factory. Events and workshops are always worthwhile, well-organised and inspiring.
Members tickets available NOW!
Non-member tickets available a month before each workshop
Workshops & TicketsFull Details & Other Info
Short Story Course - Masterclass 6
In this masterclass we will examine one of literature’s greatest, slightest, strangest and most difficult forms - the humorous short story.
May 16, 2020 1:30 pm
- Standard Masterclass Ticket £70
- Members Discounted Ticket £55
To protect your learning time and privacy our class size is limited to 25 places for all masterclasses:
- 20 places are open to the public, with priority booking for members.
- 5 places are being saved for Word Factory volunteers and the Word Factory Apprentice Award winners.
We offer a free bursary for each individual session to writers on a low income. Details are available from firstname.lastname@example.org
BOOK FULL COURSE:
Book all 6 masterclasses and save, PLUS:
- Bring a friend for free to any salon.
- Join us after each class as we explore what’s been learned with fellow writers in Breathing Spaces with Linda Quinn.
- Read at our July 2020 salon, with a chance to be published on the Word Factory website.
There are only 12 Full Course Tickets available, once full, classes will need to be booked on an individual basis:
- Standard Full Course Ticket £399
- Members Discounted Full Course Ticket £330
- Become a member and save £69! — see below.
BECOME A MEMBER
As a “Friend” of the Word Factory, not only do you support the work we do, but you also get priority booking and discounted tickets on all workshops, master classes, salons and talks + special members-only events. Become a valued member of a community of fellow writers.
The course will be run on Saturday afternoons at Waterstones, Piccadilly unless otherwise stated.
- All short story course and bursary enquiries: email@example.com
- Breathing Spaces with Linda Quinn: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Venues and sponsorship: email@example.com
Word Factory Academy
The Word Factory has been leading excellence in short fiction in the UK for over seven years. Our Academy guarantees quality teaching from the best names in publishing, a supportive writing community and small classes – a unique combination of intimacy, connection and inspiration.
We encourage anyone wanting to grow as a writer and reader of quality literature to also attend our salons and talks, free short story club events and to become a member of our community for significant priority booking and discounts.