December Round Up
Complied by Paul McVeigh from his blog. A monthly listing you can’t afford to miss. See the links below.
News & Resources
- Our free Christmas party is booked out! If you have booked and can’t make it please let us know.
- You can read, download, listen to and vote for the shortlisted stories for The Costa Short Story Award.
- Our Creative Director is back from his trip to Australia where his short story masterclass sold out in 25 minutes! You can read a short Q&A with Writers Victoria.
- If you enjoyed seeing Tessa Hadley read at Word Factory recently you might enjoy her masterclass with Thresholds.
- You can read an interview with short story legend Raymond Carver from The Paris Review archives.
- Roxanne Gay is editor of a new magazine The Butter. Sister of The Toast – they are looking for your submissions.
- You can read a new Frank McGuinness short story in the Irish Times.
Short Story Deadlines
- Writing Platform Seeks Writers for £4000 Bursaries. Deadline: Dec 4th.
- Penny Dreadful Seeks Submissions. Deadline: December 6th.
- Emerald Street Writing Competition for Aspiring Writers. Deadline: Dec 8th.
- Thin Air Magazine. Poetry & Short Story Submissions. Deadline: December 15th.
- The Harper’s Bazaar Short Story Competition. Deadline: December 12th.
- Storgy Short Story Competition. Deadline: Dec 12th.
- Short Fiction Journal. Deadline: December 31st.
- Walker Percy Prize in Short Fiction. Deadline: Dec 31st.
- Literary Orphans seeks Black Authors. Deadline: Dec 31st.
- Boulevard Short Fiction Contest for Emerging Writers. Deadline: Dec 31st.
- Mississippi Review Fiction Contest. Deadline: Jan 1st 2015.
- Carte Blanche Seeks Short Stories, Poetry and Non Fiction. Deadline: Jan 1st 2015.
- Litro Magazine Seeks Submissions. Theme is ‘Diaries’. Deadline: Jan 11th 2015.
- Bare Fiction magazine seeks submissions. Deadline: Jan 11th 2015.
- IGGY & Litro Young Writers Award. Deadline: Jan 15th 2015.
- William Richey Short Fiction Contest. Deadline: Jan 15th 2015.
- Emma Valley Press seeks Short Story Pamphlets. Deadline: Jan 25th.
- Fish Publishing Short Memoir Contest. Deadline: Jan 31st 2015.
- Swarm Literary Magazine seeks short fiction and poetry submissions. First submission window: February 15th – April 30th.
- ‘I am because you are’ Anthology. Seeks submissions. Deadline: Feb 28th.
- 2015 Stella Kupferberg Memorial Short Story Prize. Deadline: March 2015.
- Scottish Arts Club Short Story Competition. Deadline: March 31st 2015.
- Granta Open for Submissions. Deadline April 1st.
- The Bath Short Story Award. Deadline: April 27th 2015.
- The Bristol Short Story Prize. Deadline: April 30th.
- Fish Publishing Flash fiction contest. Deadline: February 28th.
- Fine Linen Magazine Seeks Flash Fiction.
- iStory for Narrative Magazine. Open for submissions all year round.
- Narrative Magazine seeks your Six-Word Story.
- Crime Novel Competition. Deadline: Dec 15th.
- Conville and Walsh – The Word of Mouth Prize. Deadline: January 31st.
- The Meadow Novella Prize. Deadline: Feb 1st.
- The Bath Novel Award. Unpublished or Self-Published Work. Deadline: March 31st 2015.
- Pow-Wow Writing Services Looking For Novels to Publish.
Other Literary Opportunities
- Alaska Quarterly Review Seeks Short Stories, Poetry, Plays.
- Publishers ‘The Siren’ seeks Short Stories and Novels.
- Simon451. New Imprint from Simon & Schuster Seeks Speculative Fiction.
- Burning Eye Books Seeks Short Novels.
- Hark Magazine Seeking Submissions.
- Harper Collins Open Wednesdays for Submissions.
- Ploughshares Open for Submissions.
- Neon Literary Magazineseeks Chapbook/Pamphlets.
- Story & Picture – New Lit Mag Seeks Submissions.
- Unthology open for short story submissions all year round.
- Influx Press Open for Submissions for Short Story Collections.
- The Threepenny Review. Paid for Poetry and Short Story.
- Sixteen Literary Magazine Seeks Submissions. Open for submissions.
- Headland. New Online Lit Mag. Seeks Submissions.
- The Literary Review. Open for Submissions.
- The Butter edited by Roxanne Gay seeks submissions.
- Dahlia Publishing open to Short Story Collections and Novels.