Word Factory is run by writers, for writers. Our intimate online and live programme brings you close to some of the world’s most accomplished authors while also ensuring numbers are small enough for you to develop your work in a friendly network of like-minded writers.
This year and next , we’re featuring unmissable short story writers. Make the very most of your membership in October and November this year when we launch our New Story autumn programme, focussed on radical style and content in the short story form.
Writers involved in events, classes and conversations include Lucy Caldwell, Yan Ge, Wendy Erskine, Courttia Newland, Toby Litt, Zoe Gilbert, Wyl Menmuir, SophIe Haydock, Alison MacLeod, Courttia Newland, Carys Davies, Emily Devane, David Constantine, Jessie Greengrass, Jonathan Davidson, Giselle Leeb and Leone Ross. There will be additional opportunities to work one-on-one literary agent Julia Silk and join a new writing course with director Cathy Galvin.
Having listened to our valued Friends, we are continuing with our renowned special events and masterclasses, Strike! short story club and Apprentice Award, and creating more opportunities for Friends to get together to share work and inspiration.
Word Factory Friend Benefits
This membership runs for ten months from September 2022 – June 2023.
- Priority booking for our one-on-one advice sessions with a literary agent (Numbers are limited for these sessions and sell out at lightning speed).
- One free masterclass place.
- One free event place.
- Four free places at the Strike! Short Story Club (priority booking to secure a place: tickets sell fast).
- An exclusive members-only eveningwith the opportunity to read your work and get personalised feedback and industry insights).
- All Friends will be listed on our website.
- Discounts on the Scratch Books short story imprint.
- New unlisted event information will be sent to members for priority booking (members have a 24 hour head start to book tickets before information is made public).
- An additional free ticket for a friend to any live event.
By becoming a Friend, you are also helping the sustainability of the only organisation in the UK promoting and supporting quality short story writing – a unique not-for-profit literary company run by and for writers. At this stage we do not have public funding but want to continue our work with your help.
- Membership is limited to 25 people.
- Please note: this offer is time limited.
- Shannon Savvas
- Matthew Broomfield
- Sofie de Smyter
- Caroline Studdert
- Stef Pixner
- Diana Powell
- Linda Quinn
Cathy Galvin has created a remarkable community of writers around the Word Factory. Events and workshops are always worthwhile, well-organised and inspiring.A.L. Kennedy